Thursday, July 30, 2009

Monique Visits Girl Scout Camp

The Girl Scouts of Silver Sage Council staff went on retreat for three days for training and some (much needed) R&R. We started with a training-intense filled day at Friendship Square (off Reserve Street in Boise) on Monday and then headed up to Camp Alice Pittenger in McCall on Tuesday and stayed overnight.

The camp experience really brought me back to the 9-year-old Monique who went away to Girl Scout camp in the California foothills many years ago. We sang songs, went swimming, ate s’mores, had incredibly outgoing and fun-loving camp staff, and connected with my peers for giggle-fits and scary trips to the biffy at night. We saw deer, ate huckleberries off the vine, and got bit by blood-thirsty mosquitoes. All-in-all, it was a great retreat. I could go on and on, but I do have to get some grant reports off to foundations who have provided us the opportunity to give low-income girls around the state much needed financial aid. We are grateful to the Whittenberger Foundation, Harry W. Morrison Foundation, CHC Foundation, Idaho Women’s Health and Fitness Education Celebration, and IdaCorps. I’m especially grateful that I have a few more hours to get all the grant documentation out to these generous funders.

I’ll be off for a week of (again, much needed) vacation next week, so no blog on Thursday. I’ll see you all later in August.

No comments: